New Server Suggestions
Yup.

We will be officially starting a new Ark server, based off of our custom server. This means that much like our most recent Ark server, we can expect great SSD performance and great FPS. It also means that we will not be entirely reliant on donations, so even if there's "lulls" in population and donations, we can keep the server running. If population outgrows us, I will look at purchasing another newer server. 

Now, on to the reason for this thread; what the hay are we going to do with the server this time around?! Below I've outlined my current thoughts/opinions, which you will see have carried over from our other GIA run servers. I'd like to hear everyone's feedback. 

Current Thoughts
-I don't typically care for heavily modded servers for a few reasons; They make it more challenging for users to connect, they reduce overall performance of the server, and opinions on the mods are like assholes - everyone has one.
-The Center for the map (lots of room, variety in biomes, and newish)
-20x Tame, 20x Gather, 5x XP (x50 is way too fast/high in my opinion, and I want it to be a grind, I just don't want to spend 23hrs taming a dino lol, and I like the 5x XP so that late-joining users will not be totally outmatched)
-I have mixed feelings about primitive plus. I really enjoy not have just metal for everything since it seems it is always overpowered. I always enjoy all the small things you can make with P+. On the other hand, I think it could detract from population since it will require a large download that people may not already have. Kind of torn here. One option would be to go with the standard version, and just place a limit on the amount of metal wall layers or something.
-I feel strongly about enabling offline raid protection. For those of us that have played on the Rust server, I'm going to try to find or develop a similar system. For example, user's bases are protected when they go offline. As soon as one tribe member is online, protection is disabled. I'd prefer to have it gradually reduce the protection; i.e. 12hrs offline = 90% protection, 24hrs offline = 80%, 48hrs offline = 50%, etc. This would need tweaking, but you get the idea.

Rules
-I'm pretty hard set on these rules, but of course I'm willing to listen to suggestions
-I'd prefer a mostly "everything goes" server, assuming that it follows GIA's general guidelines (e.g. no racism or bigotry, etc). Any rules that we actually have would preferably be plugin-enforced so it doesn't rely on an admin. This means the rules will be relatively minimal. 
-Originally I was thinking "no extreme harassment of bases" (as in, no repeatedly raiding day after day) as a rule, but I think that having a bounty system would alleviate this completely. If someone keeps harassing you, you could simply put a large bounty on their base/dinos/head. Need some suggestions here.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks! Smile 
I don't like the idea of the primitive plus to many items in that mod. I would like to see the S+ mod and I like maybe 10x tame and 10x gather. Also would like a stack mod.
I like it, I'm neutral on Primative Plus. I can't really remember what's all in it, so I guess it doesn't matter, plus smaller load times would be nicer. All I really care about is the faster taming considering that's what turned me off of it for a bit. I'll have to jump into single player and mess around before I have a real opinion beyond that.  Angel
[Image: ulapdo7ac02.gif]
HOTS Logs Player Profile
(05-06-2017, 02:56 AM)Braff Zacklin Wrote: I don't like the idea of the primitive plus to many items in that mod. I would like to see the S+ mod and I like maybe 10x tame and 10x gather. Also would like a stack mod.

Stack mod will happen. 100% and no doubt about that. Weight will still be a factor though.
-I've always been a fan of bounty systems in mmo's, i feel like it give players a viable means for retaliation. Ie, squealers leaving the admin alone and just setting a bounty on a clan or player as well as individuals who may not be able to grind as hard as others do not feel as helpless.
-I loved the offline raid protection in the rust servers. As long as the percentages do not indirectly turn the server into PvE I feel it gives players a sense of security after they've spent all day grinding, or just come on an hour or two a day and want your hobbit hole not to get blown sky high by a cannon laden quetz.
-As for prime, it's cool but I barely trust the Ark devs as it is let alone expect them to stabilize this dlc in a timely manner. Seems like too many people are having problems with it and may just end up being a server owner's nightmare imo.
20x across the board with 10x xp I think is fine. I don't think that nerfing breeding would be a good idea though as I know that some players play just to do that. I have played floating around on multiple servers and there are some mods that are just a "necessity" to me. They aren't necessarily OP but they make things less grindy (Between kids/jobs I can't afford the grind...) Those mods would be:
Death Helper: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=566885854
Egg n Poop Collector: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=554678442
Pet Finder: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=566887000
Some sort of meat spoiler: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=815306540
Some sort of bulk crafting mod
Some sort of tranq mod for easier tranqing
Kibble table- not a necessity but a niceity (can be very very OP so take it with a grain of salt): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=774762563
Flying nerf sucked imo, so classic flyers is a nice thing to have so you can get around the map without spending 10 minutes to get from one side of the center to the other.

As for dino levels:
I feel that the challenge of having the higher levels when starting off is fun, I enjoy having to watch my back with everything I do in fear that I might get KO'd by a level 45 Troodon...I don't think that having level 150 dinos running around is a bad thing. if you don't have that high of dinos then the end game won't be fun as finding max level dinos becomes easier, and there won't be that high level dino strolling around in the forest that can kill your ass if you aren't paying attention.
(05-06-2017, 07:42 PM)Bud Finklestein Wrote: -I've always been a fan of bounty systems in mmo's, i feel like it give players a viable means for retaliation. Ie, squealers leaving the admin alone and just setting a bounty on a clan or player as well as individuals who may not be able to grind as hard as others do not feel as helpless.
-I loved the offline raid protection in the rust servers. As long as the percentages do not indirectly turn the server into PvE I feel it gives players a sense of security after they've spent all day grinding, or just come on an hour or two a day and want your hobbit hole not to get blown sky high by a cannon laden quetz.
-As for prime, it's cool but I barely trust the Ark devs as it is let alone expect them to stabilize this dlc in a timely manner. Seems like too many people are having problems with it and may just end up being a server owner's nightmare imo.

I'm glad you conquer with the bounty system. I haven't found a good bounty mod, so for the time being it will probably need to be forum based or something, but I'd like to see that. I think there should be SOME measures in place to keep people from repeatedly being raided though. Suggestions?

It sounds like we will not be doing primitive plus. It's out.

(05-07-2017, 02:09 AM)Fernridge Wrote: 20x across the board with 10x xp I think is fine. I don't think that nerfing breeding would be a good idea though as I know that some players play just to do that. I have played floating around on multiple servers and there are some mods that are just a "necessity" to me. They aren't necessarily OP but they make things less grindy (Between kids/jobs I can't afford the grind...) Those mods would be:
Death Helper: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=566885854
Egg n Poop Collector: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=554678442
Pet Finder: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=566887000
Some sort of meat spoiler: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=815306540
Some sort of bulk crafting mod
Some sort of tranq mod for easier tranqing
Kibble table- not a necessity but a niceity (can be very very OP so take it with a grain of salt): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=774762563
Flying nerf sucked imo, so classic flyers is a nice thing to have so you can get around the map without spending 10 minutes to get from one side of the center to the other.

As for dino levels:
I feel that the challenge of having the higher levels when starting off is fun, I enjoy having to watch my back with everything I do in fear that I might get KO'd by a level 45 Troodon...I don't think that having level 150 dinos running around is a bad thing. if you don't have that high of dinos then the end game won't be fun as finding max level dinos becomes easier, and there won't be that high level dino strolling around in the forest that can kill your ass if you aren't paying attention.

Hm, the leveling/collection levels you suggested I think are fair. I think 20x is really the highest we should go, but I'll keep it open to suggestion. The grind can definitely be less fun - especially when you have other responsibilities. The problem is that we can't make it "too easy" with "no grind" because there are people who have all the time in the world, so while it might make things easy for you, imagine the guy who puts in 100hrs a week into the server - they would be extremely OP, which isn't fair to everyone else.

The other reason I want to avoid a bunch of mods is because it makes it more challenging for people to join in general. I'll check to see how large those mods are. If they're small, I'll consider it. I don't think the dino finder is really going to hurt anything - I think hunting forever for dinos is irritating, but part of the process (IMO). Stack mods will make bulk crafting easier so no worries about that one. As for the incubator goes... Maybe. I want people to actually have something to DO. Maybe a compromise would be to turn down it's efficiency so it's still worth grabbing eggs poop? What do you think? As for the corpse finder, I'm a little concerned. I've already increased the corpse stick-around rate 3x, so they won't easily disappear. Think about how this plugin could be problematic in PVP. You kill someone, they could come right back.
[Image: 12.6.gif]
"Never pull the trigger - until you know you can win."
Owner - Admin - Event Organizer
Little late to the party but figured I'd share my opinion, which is basically everything you have planned in my experience with ARK is perfect. Except the EXP and Breeding times, not to be confused with taming. Also the mods listed by Fernridge are pretty basic as far as modded servers go these days.
Thanks for the input everyone. As usual, I will continue the take suggestions. So far we have settled on:

-Using the Egg and Poop collector(with limited range)
-20xT 20xG 5xXP
-Removing the reusable weapons (although we tried it at first, they are extremely OP and the author won't let us remove specific ones)
-Very sped up crafting
-Increased weight for dinos/players
-Corpse Finder/Death helper
-Offline Raid Protection (limited)
-Spoiling bin is currently broken and won't be used for now
-Bred dinos have increased stats and are slightly easier to breed

I'll be posting a separate thread for the actual rules and details shortly.
[Image: 12.6.gif]
"Never pull the trigger - until you know you can win."
Owner - Admin - Event Organizer